Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Sunday, July 28, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things

So the wonderful Corbett has asked me if I had a list of my favorite things anywhere. (I met her at SDS, she's awesome. Also she totally cited me in an academic article. I think that's the first time I've been cited.)
So, I'm a daily blogger and always need more thing to blog. Which means I'm doing it. (BTW, you can ask me questions. I've got an "Ask me things" page in the sidebar, comments enabled and everything, and the Yes, That Too Facebook page takes messages. Also sidebar linked.)
  1. ECHOLALIA. Echolalia is fun. Ladle is like, one of the best echolalia words out there. For real, I love it and it is win. So I like to say "ladle!"
  2. Bacon! I like bacon. I really like bacon. It is yummy, and yes, I have just taken a plate full of bacon instead of going up again and again for my two or three socially acceptable pieces at a time. I don't care. Also, bacon is revenge. Story of why here, long story short an 800lb pig thought I would make a good lunch.
  3. Soft blankets with satin bindings. I stim with the satin bindings, they feel great between my fingers or toes. It's a great way to fidget and to calm down, I even have a jacket made from this sort of blanket that people mistook for pajamas at SDS.
  4. The color purple. Actual color, not the book by that name. It is my favorite color, always has been. 
  5. Singing. I'm a tenor second/baritone, and it is fun. I can sing two notes at once, too, but it doesn't sound awesome. It sounds kind of like a harmonica or a train whistle, the interval was between a minor and major tenth when we tested it about four years ago. I was in tenor bass choir for two years. Yes, my name is Alyssa. Yes, I was assigned female at birth. No, I have never been on hormones. I'm just a tenor second. I don't know either.
  6. Ultimate Frisbee, I've actually talked about it a few times, both with my college team and helping out at the elementary school I went to for a year. It's the only real "team" sport I play. I root for the Boston Whitecaps, in case you were curious.
  7. Computers. There are a few reasons, including internet, AAC usability, writing (I can't read my own handwriting,) and generally tech-geekiness.
  8. Swimming. That's another thing I used to do competitively. I swam whatever I was put in, really, but I preffered the 100 butterfly and the 200 individual medly. First time I swam the 200 IM, I got one of my hospital stories out of it.
  9. Blogging. I think it belongs on the list considering the sheer number of blogs I have acquired at least contributor access to. Autism Experts, We Are Like Your Child, Autistics Speaking Day, Autism Positivity... some of these I have access to on multiple platforms, generally Blogspot/Wordpress and Tumblr. And then there are things like Allism Speaks and Aspie Alligator, plus I wrote a blog post for ASAN once.
  10. BOOKS. I am a bookworm. I don't always get to read much because I know that starting a book means finishing it ASAP and don't always have time to do so and still get everything done, but I still read a good bit, both for pleasure and for academic reasons.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your favorite things! My son loves his blankie, but it is one without a satin trim - he can't stand the feel. LADLE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I used to say ladle over and over too when I was a kid! What are the odds? I so agree that it's awesome. :D And I stick things between my toes too, like my sheets every night before I fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.