Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Monday, September 10, 2012

The Versatile Blogger Award

*faints*
So, E over at The Third Glance decided to nominate me for this. (BTW, I study mechanical engineering, but my research is in the chemical engineering department. I can't do industrial because sensory overload on factory floors.) Once I got through the "Wait, what?" reaction, I figured, hey, sure, I'll do this. So, here be the way it works.
Versatile Blogger Award:
  • Thank the person that gave you the award in a blog post & link back to their blog.
  • Pass the award on to 15 bloggers you follow.
  • Include 7 random things about yourself in your post.
  • Include the rules in your post.
  • Notify your nominees by leaving a comment on their blog.
Thanks E! You're pretty awesome. And... yeah, I kinda am you. Except different special interests and my parents tended to be decent about it my weirdness. (They have some trouble with the part where autism is behind the weirdness, but oh well.) Anyways, thankies muchly.

And here be 7 random things about me:
  1. I have three siblings, all younger, all of whom I held the day they were born. 
  2. My favorite color has been purple since forever. Or at least as long as I've been able to communicate one.
  3. I started talking when I was six months old, and my favorite word was "AGAIN!"
  4. I am good with computers. What this means is that when I mess my computer up, I do so in a way that takes computer skill to accomplish and even more computer skill to fix. Like somehow making part of my bootloader wind up on a flash drive. I still don't really know how that happened.
  5. I can do a roundoff, but not a cartwheel. Don't ask.
  6. I make a lot of my own clothing because I want to wear clothing that covers me thoroughly, doesn't show my shape, is comfortable, and is reasonably colorful (mostly purpleful.) That's not exactly easy to find in a fashion world that is definitely catering to what guys want to see.
  7. I will happily put the same album on repeat for several weeks/months as long as I like the album. Right now I'm listening to everything Amy MacDonald has on her website this way.
And now to nominate people! (Just because I nominate you doesn't mean you have to participate. I'm guessing most of you probably won't. I know it's meme ish/chain letter ish, but it seemed like a fun one to me. And it seemed like a way to spread the blogger love. So I'm doing it, and I really don't care at all if you do or not. )
In no particular order despite the numbers:
  1. The Third Glance. Because I AM HER. Not really, but yeah. She's a PhD student in some sort of sciency thing so far as I can gather, and she is really cool. She writes good stuff, and gets all the points.
  2. Autistic Hoya. She goes to Georgetown, and she is partly responsible for my ever managing to accept the fact that I'm autistic and that this is OK. She also gets all the points. And yes, I have read every post she wrote on that site.
  3. Neurodivergent K. She's actually on both tumblr and blogger, and she is made of win. She is autisileptic (autistic and epileptic, I think the word is her invention) and likes dancing and gymnastics. TW because triggering stuff happens to her, she talks about it, and she doesn't blunt her anger.
  4. Just Stimming. Uh, she runs the Loud Hands project. And that means she is awesome. She also writes good stuff.
  5. The 3 R's: Reading, 'riting, and Rambling. You may now gasp. She does not talk about autism. She is an English teacher. She talks about stuff related to teaching fairly often, and about stuff related to her opinions on various things too.
  6. I Still Find It So Hard. He has been through pretty much everything and is somehow still here. I am very impressed. And he talks about a lot of things, so versatile just makes sense. TW because triggering stuff happens to him, he talks about it, and he doesn't blunt his anger.
  7. The ASAN Blog They aren't going to take it, I think, because they are way more professional than this meme-ish award, but you should still read them. Because... It's the autistic self advocacy network. Meaning they say stuff that actual autistic people think by way of it only being actual autistic people.
  8. Emily Willingham I don't know much about her, but she approaches autism issues from the "I'm a science writer and I know what I'm talking about with these things," and she is apparently the science editor for my next nomination...
  9. The Thinking Person's Guide To Autism. They're awesome. They use actual autistic people and the use research and I should probably get a move on donating a copy of their book to my university library like I promised Autistic Hoya I would...
  10. Countering. Written by a mother of three, all of whom are apparently on the spectrum. She seems pretty cool.
  11. Emma's Hope Book. Another of the fairly few parent blogs I actually like. Warning that some of the earliest posts are not quite so awesome, but it's been good for a while. She's not afraid to look at past mistakes either, and some of the times she does that are among her best posts.
  12. Ableist S*** My Mom Says This is a submission based Tumblr blog about ableist things people say. It doesn't exactly publish regularly, but what it has is good.
  13. Ballastexistenz. Written by Amanda, a non-speaking autistic woman. She talks about important things. She also makes a good example of the fact that the kid you think is low-functioning probably does understand what you're saying. I'll probably be citing her in that paper I'm talking about writing.
  14. Existence is Wonderful. I found this on Amanda's blogroll. She's autistic too, but her writing isn't all (or even mostly) about autism. She writes about lots of geeky stuff that I find awesome, though, and I like to share awesomeness.
  15. Ableism and Ability Ethics and Governance . It's about ableism and ability, as the title suggests. It's pretty cool. It has good information.

3 comments:

  1. Aww :) thanks! Sorry, I guessed industrial because of your India trip. But alas, bad guess. Yeah, "some sciency thing" is just what I'm going for. If I start talking about my research, I'm pretty much immediately identifiable - my field is relatively small. You've got some gems on your list I haven't started reading yet - time to go do that. :)

    Also, regarding number 4 of your facts... I was banned from the library computers in high school because I would always crash them. They were macs, and I wasn't asking them to do unreasonable things. But the spinning pinwheel of doom always accompanied me every time I touched one. I'm very much a PC user... I keep thinking about learning linux and just haven't had time. I've also done such ridiculous things with computers such as move my entire desktop FOLDER to an external disk, then not be able to move it back (because obviously, you can't move the location of the desktop folder. Even if you did it 5 minutes before completely accidentally and you're not even sure how that happened), thus making it impossible to log into the computer. I managed to fix this by plugging in the external drive, creating a whole new user, which I then changed to the administrator, thus dismantling the original user and being able to use the laptop again. But talk about computer mess up... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. I never specified before, and I only did now because those are pretty common majors.
      As for 4. Oh wow that is impressive! Clearly we should somehow arrange to get together without ever revealing anything traceable over the internet, have muchly stim fests, and fix each others computers.

      Delete
    2. Well, there is a definite chance I'll end up at autreat next year... a couple of my friends went this year and have managed to convince me that it is an environment I would enjoy. (Perhaps with the exception of food). If that happens, you should end up there too!

      Delete

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.