Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Friday, September 7, 2012

Ethan's Story: My Life With Autism

This is a children's book about autism written by an eight year old with autism. (His language choices in the book lead me to suspect he prefers person first for himself, but if anyone actually knows what he prefers go ahead and let me know.)  The way he talks about his autism is pretty much what you would expect of an eight year old who is comfortable with himself : he is matter of fact about what he likes and doesn't like, what he's good at, and what is harder for him. He credits his autism for some of his strengths in addition to being aware of what is harder for him because of it, and he gives some specific examples of how to help him fit better in situations. If you want to help someone get a basic understating of autism, or if you want it yourself, or if you just want to be reminded that some people understand that autism is not inherently tragic, I say this is a good read and a good, if a bit simplistic, portrayal of a child with autism. (And seriously? The writer is eight and it's a children's book. I think simple is OK here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.