Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Don't Look Past My Autism

Don't. Revel in it. I do. Because it's kind of the way my entire brain is wired. If you consider the sensory processing issues to not actually be separate, then you can toss in the rest of my nervous system to boot.
Don't look past the way my brain is wired, the way I think, the person I am inside. What's left if you do? A pretty body, maybe. Well, more like an athletic healthy one for me. Or maybe it's a body that's ALSO disabled. Who knows. The point is, if you take away the brain, which is, you know, autistic, there aren't too many traits left that I really want to be the reasons people like me.
So don't look past the autism. Realize that those parts of my personality that you like? Those are part of the way my mind works too, which means they are part of my AUTISTIC brain, and you could argue that they are part of the autism too.
When you say that I'm really cool when you look past the autism, you're either talking about traits that I REALLY, REALLY do NOT want to be the reason you think I'm cool, or you're looking past one set of traits you assume to be autism related to find another set of traits that are probably also autism related but that you happen to like.
And of course, there's that whole idea that needing to look past a disability implies that it is a bad thing or a less human thing. That's really ableist. It's not cool. So even if you think looking past a disability is a good thing, no. It's not. Looking at the whole person, including but not limited to the disability, is a good thing. There's a difference.

BTW, I stuck this over on the Autistic Hodgepodge page too. Because that one post saying ``Hi!" felt kinda lonely. Anyone want to add something to it? Doesn't need to be about autism or anything, just needs to be written by someone autistic. Or want to get involved in putting together such a hodgepodge volume, in any way, like maybe submitting stuff?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.