Note For Anyone Writing About Me

Guide to Writing About Me

I am an Autistic person,not a person with autism. I am also not Aspergers. The diagnosis isn't even in the DSM anymore, and yes, I agree with the consolidation of all autistic spectrum stuff under one umbrella. I have other issues with the DSM.

I don't like Autism Speaks. I'm Disabled, not differently abled, and I am an Autistic activist. Self-advocate is true, but incomplete.

Citing My Posts

MLA: Zisk, Alyssa Hillary. "Post Title." Yes, That Too. Day Month Year of post. Web. Day Month Year of retrieval.

APA: Zisk, A. H. (Year Month Day of post.) Post Title. [Web log post]. Retrieved from http://yesthattoo.blogspot.com/post-specific-URL.

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Long Day

So, you may have heard that many autistics like to stick to a routine. Give me some warning that my routine is about to fly out the window, and I'm totally fine, but if it changes at the last minute, I'm not too happy. Oversleeping, missing the bus, and therefore missing a class counts as a last-minute change. That threw off the rest of the day to some extent.
My other two classes of the day come in a row, starting six hours later than the first. I had enough time to recover, at least, before I went to my hardest two classes, which are, of course, in a row. They are both graduate level math classes. I am a sophomore. One, I am the only undergraduate in, but I do meet the prerequisites except for the one where you're supposed to be a grad student. The other has a super senior in it, so I'm not the only undergrad. However, the teacher is known- for being a great guy and a horrible teacher. When I'm actually qualified to be in the class, my OMG MATH PWNAGE can make up for that, but I am missing actual prerequisites for that one, and it is handing me my tuchus. And it's April. Autism Awareness month. I'm already nuts from having dealt with people who learned all they know about autism from pop culture and pop science all stinking month. I'm nuts from dealing with people who don't understand the scientific method and who think that the ability of certain illnesses to cause symptoms which look similar to autism means that autism is actually those illnesses/therefore curable. I'm nuts from dealing with the anti-vaccination crowd. So throwing me off my routine and then sending me to my two hardest classes isn't going to do good things for my comprehension of what's going on. And the professors don't know I'm autistic for the simple reason that my autism doesn't cause problems that are relevant to my performance in those classes. I have no REASON to tell them. My being autistic isn't the problem. Other people being stupid about autism sometimes is, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I reserve the right to delete comments for personal attacks, derailing, dangerous comparisons, bigotry, and generally not wanting my blog to be a platform for certain things.